July 31, 2019
J Diagn Treat Oral Maxillofac Pathol 2019;3:176−85.
Under a Creative Commons license
HOW TO CITE THIS ARTICLE
Robles Cantero D, Schoenbaum TR, Zhehulovych ZY, Nagorniak IV, Fesenko II. Comparison of article processing fees on open access journals with a 4.5-year history of publishing. J Diagn Treat Oral Maxillofac Pathol 2019;3(7):176−85.
Open access article (synonym: open access publication) is a type of peer-reviewed article which gives a possibility to the readers to read and download it free of charge owing to paying an open access publication fee (OAPF) directly by its authors, their institutions, or funders.1 According to Solomon and Björk`s study, who analyzed about 1,370 journals, article processing charges range from 8 to 3,900 US Dollars.1, 2 Moreover, the official Elsevier`s page dedicated to the list of all company`s open access journals indicated that an article processing charge can reach 6,000 US Dollars excluding tax.3 First publishing houses that supported and develop open access journals have been two new academic publishers – BioMed Central (BMC) and Public Library of Science (PLoS).1 In 2000, they began establishing journals that rely on open access publication fee.1 Most motivation criteria for the authors from the fields of oral and maxillofacial surgery, periodontics in choosing to what peer-reviewed journal submit their paper may be classified under three chief groups: 1) indexing and abstracting in different recognized data bases (PubMed/Medline,4 Scopus, Web of Science, etc.), 2) an impact metric,5 and 3) an amount of the article processing charge. First two motivation criteria are precisely described in recent publications but the last one – open access publication fee and its amount – should be investigated more scrupulously.4, 5 There is a great need to analyze the advantages and disadvantages of OAPF both for authors and editorial staff/publishers. This is the aim of this study in order to understand the advantages and disadvantages the payment methods. For the purpose of comparative analysis we selected two peer-reviewed journals according to the following inclusion criteria:
- Fully open access publication (hybrid or delayed open access journals were excluded during selection).
- Similar term of publication history – about 5 years (similar starting point allows comparing the peer-reviewed journals more precisely).
- Journals focused on oral surgery.
- Different ways of receiving article processing charges after the submission of manuscripts.
- English, as language of publications.
Analysis was performed on the publishing statistics, abstracting and indexation of the journals as important characteristics of the ways of growth of both peer-reviewed publications.
- Solomon DJ, Björk B-C. A study of open access journals using article processing charges. J Assoc Inf Sci Technol 2012;63:1485−95. Crossref
- Van Noorden R. Open access: the true cost of science publishing. Nature 2013;495(7442):426–9. Crossref
- Open access journals [document on the internet]; 2019 [cited 2019 Jul 20]. Available from: https://www.elsevier.com/about/open-science/open-access/open-access-journals
- Schachat AP. Ophthalmology Retina is now indexed in MEDLINE/PubMed. Ophthalmol Retina 2019;3:457−58. Crossref
- Verma IM. Impact, not impact factor. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2015;112:7875−6. Crossref
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Cases [document on the internet]; 2019 [cited 2019 Jul 18]. Available from: https://www.journals.elsevier.com/oral-and-maxillofacial-surgery-cases/
- AboSharkh H, Nahal A, Suliman Zaid W, El-Hakim M. Nodular fasciitis in the masticator space eroding into the mandible: a case report. Oral Maxillofac Surg Cases 2015;1:1−4. Crossref
- Parkins GE, Ayettey-Adamafio M, Avogo D, Scheller EL, Pinsky HM. A suspected dental cellulitis leading to diagnosis of both herpes zoster ophthalmicus and HIV. Oral Maxillofacial Surg Cases 2015;1:5−7. Crossref
- Aresdahl A, Lindell B, Dukic M, Thor A. Congenital granular cell epulis—a case report. Oral Maxillofacial Surg Cases 2015;1:8−11. Crossref
- Miloro M, Haupt A, Olsson AB, Kolokythas A. Oral spindle cell lipoma: a rare occurrence and review of the literature. Oral Maxillofacial Surg Cases 2015;1:12−4. Crossref
- Scopus preview: Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Cases [document on the internet]; 2019 [cited 2019 Jul 18]. Available from: https://www.scopus.com/sourceid/21100393214
- Scimago Journal & Country Rank: category – oral surgery [document on the internet]; 2019 [cited 2019 Jul 19]. Available from: https://www.scimagojr.com/journalrank.php?category=3504
- DOAJ (Directory of Open Access Journals) [document on the internet]; 2019 [cited 2019 Jul 20]. Available from: https://doaj.org
- ScienceDirect: Articles in press [document on the internet]; 2019 [cited 2019 Jul 22]. Available from: https://www.sciencedirect.com/journal/information-and-management/articles-in-press
- International Journal of Implant Dentistry [document on the internet]; 2019 [cited 2019 Jul 20]. Available from: https://journalimplantdent.springeropen.com/
- Hedlund T, Rabow I. Scholarly publishing and open access in the Nordic countries. Learn Publ 2009;22:177–86. https://doi.org/10.1087/2009303
- Crystal D. English as a global language. 2nd ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 2003.
- Tymofieiev OO, Fesenko OD, Fesenko II. Transition from Korean to English language of South Korean journals both dedicated to the oral and maxillofacial surgery (OMS): the transitions` impact on OMS residency programs. J Diagn Treat Oral Maxillofac Pathol 2018;2:155−64. Crossref
- Terheyden H, Maeda Y. International Journal of Implant Dentistry. Int J Implant Dent 2015;1(1):1. Crossref
- Gosau M, Viale-Bouroncle S, Eickhoff H, Prateeptongkum E, Reck A, Götz W, Klingelhöffer C, Müller S, Morsczeck C. Evaluation of implant-materials as cell carriers for dental stem cells under in vitro conditions. Int J Implant Dent 2015;1:2. Crossref
- Wada M, Tsuiki Y, Suganami T, Ikebe K, Sogo M, Okuno I, Maeda Y. The relationship between the bone characters obtained by CBCT and primary stability of the implants. Int J Implant Dent 2015;1:3. Crossref
- Hagiwara Y, Narita T, Shioda Y, Iwasaki K, Ikeda T, Namaki S, Salinas TJ. Current status of implant prosthetics in Japan: a survey among certified dental lab technicians. Int J Implant Dent 2015;1:4. Crossref
- Shanbhag S, Shanbhag V, Stavropoulos A. Genomic analyses of early peri-implant bone healing in humans: a systematic review. Int J Implant Dent 2015;1:5. Crossref
- Kimura M, Takasugi Y, Hanano S, Terabe K, Kimura Y. Efficacy of intravenous sedation and oral nifedipine in dental implant patients with preoperative hypertension - a retrospective study of 516 cases. Int J Implant Dent 2015;1:6. Crossref
- Meisberger EW, Bakker SJ, Cune MS. Temperature rise during removal of fractured components out of the implant body: an in vitro study comparing two ultrasonic devices and five implant types. Int J Implant Dent 2015;1:7. Crossref
- International Journal of Implant Dentistry [document on the internet]; 2019 [cited 2019 Jul 18]. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/nlmcatalog?term=%22Int+J+Implant+Dent%22[Title+Abbreviation]
- Rhee JS. JAMA Facial Plastic Surgery-The Year in Review, 2018. JAMA Facial Plast Surg 2019;21:183. Crossref
- Bonow RO. JAMA Cardiology-The Year in Review, 2018. JAMA Cardiol 2019;4:406. Crossref
- Öngür D. JAMA Psychiatry–The Year in Review, 2018. JAMA Psychiatry 2019;76:463. Crossref
- Rohrich RJ, Weinstein A. A major milestone for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery-Global Open: indexing and archiving in PubMed Central. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open 2015;3:e297. Crossref
- CiteScore: a new metric to help you track journal performance and make decisions [document on the internet]; 2019 [cited 2019 Jul 18]. Available from: https://www.elsevier.com/editors-update/story/journal-metrics/citescore-a-new-metric-to-help-you-choose-the-right-journal
- Journal metrics in Scopus: Source Normalized Impact per Paper (SNIP) [document on the internet]; 2019 [cited 2019 Jul 20]. Available from: https://blog.scopus.com/posts/journal-metrics-in-scopus-source-normalized-impact-per-paper-snip
- Journal metrics in Scopus: SCImago Journal Rank (SJR) [document on the internet]; 2019 [cited 2019 Jul 20]. Available from: https://blog.scopus.com/posts/journal-metrics-in-scopus-scimago-journal-rank-sjr